Firm not yet blacklisted when it won contract, insists DPWH
By Danny O Sagun
Dagupan City (6 October) -- The contractor of the road widening project in Urdaneta City was not in the black list yet when it bagged the project, a public works official clarified Tuesday.
Regional Director Mariano Alquiza said it was "only a few months ago" when BMK Construction got blacklisted. He did not elaborate.
Alquiza, who guested at the special Engkwentro forum at the Lenox Hotel along with his key officials including second engineering district head Rodolfo Dion, said that his office had no hand in pre-qualifying the contractor. "Sa Manila yan ginagawa as they have complete records of contractors. Pero hindi pa nablacklist yang BMK nong inaward yong project," he said.
The regional director was reacting to reports that the city government of Urdaneta was already getting listless because civil works there seemed to have no end at all after almost a decade. The sangguniang panlungsod last week summoned officials of the third Pangasinan engineering district as well as representatives of the construction firm to shed light on the matter.
The sanggunian wanted to know why concreting of the road came first before construction of the drainage which, the legislative body observed, should be the other way around. Motorists have complained of heavy traffic during rush hours.
Alquiza, who took over as regional director nine months ago, said that right of way acquisition was the main problem. He said that he personally negotiated with some property owners who earlier had refused to accept the government's offer. "Salamat naman at they were willing to give up their properties," he said.
He also said that piecemeal release of funds also affected early completion of the project, which at present is about 90 percent complete.
Aside from negotiations with landowners, he said that his office needed to talk also to utility companies for the relocation of their facilities like electric posts and cables.
"Tinututukan naming yong proyekto at palagi kong pinupokpok yong contractor," he said as he noted that his office is also being rated as to its accomplishments.
Meanwhile, Dion disclosed that elevation of the flood-prone Mayombo-Carnaglaan road is in the priority list of projects submitted for funding next year. Some P50 million is needed for the project. "Sa tulong ng ating butihing director dito, puwedeng susunod yong Mayombo-Caranglaan road next year," he said.
Already completed recently were the other flood-prone roadlines in the city - Arellano street and Tapuac road. (PIA Pangasinan) [top]