Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Thursday, 21 October 2021 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << October 2021 >> 
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2006/06/30

DavNor local execs back anti-insurgency drive

by JMD Abangan

TAGUM CITY (30 June) -- Top provincial government executives of Davao del Norte are backing up President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in her campaign to wipe out insurgency in the country.

Provincial governor Gelacio Gementiza lauded PGMA and even urged her to put up additional fund "to show that the government really means business in dealing with insurgency."

The President mid this month pronounced to wipe out the almost 40-year old insurgency problem and ordered the release of P1 billion to boost military and police operations against the communists. The President said part of the P1 billion will be used for community development in the areas already being freed from insurgency.

The official publication of the Office of the Governor quoted Gementiza as saying that members of the New People's Army "will certainly face their final moment" once the intensive anti-insurgency drive of the national government gets on the ground.

The provincial government of Davao del Norte suffered great loss last year in terms of infrastructure development when alleged members of NPA burned several heavy equipment used in opening up the Davao del Norte-Bukidnon Road.

Meanwhile, Gementiza suggested that portion of the P1 billion anti-insurgency drive be used for providing livelihood to residents in areas where insurgency is a problem.

"President GMA may find it very much effective if we can use some of the funds for the livelihood of those people in the hills," he said.

On the other hand, Davao del Norte Vice governor Anthony del Rosario also agreed on the need to address the long standing insurgency problem in the country but suggested that it be done with less damage to civilian lives.

He viewed the intensive campaign against insurgency as a "sensitive issue" noting that lives of civilians will certainly be affected.

He pointed out the need to manage well such an all-out operation against communist rebels "to make sure that people are not left in the middle of the conflict."

"Saying that you want to go on all-out war is one thing, but how you actually do it is another. We need to ensure that the people are not caught in between this conflict," he said. (PIA) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»New impeach complaint "double dead meat" - Palace
»PGMA expresses confidence in wage boards
»Fight for welfare of the people, not self-interests - Nograles
»Good governance key to victory - Bunye
»Feature: Will food aid bring peace?
»DavNor local execs back anti-insurgency drive
»Free medical services offered in celebration of DavNor anniversary
»RDDC XI gives financial assistance to landslide victims in Pantukan, Comval Province
»Davao RTWPB hears wage hike petition June 30
»NDCC prepares for disaster
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines