Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Saturday, 30 May 2020 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << May 2020 >> 
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2006/12/06

Business sees bright prospects for 2007

by Prix D Banzon

Davao City (6 December) -- Business will be good in 2007 because banana, which ranked the highest in yield among agricultural crops, will remain a major crop in Davao City.

Davao City Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc. (DCCCII) president Atty. Bienvenido Cariaga in a press briefing with business reporters said the 5,000 hectares of bananas in Davao City will remain an economic drawer.

He attributed this to the latest stand of Mayor Rodrigo Duterte not to ban aerial spaying in banana plantations provided necessary safeguards and protection are applied to protect the people's health.

"It will continue to be good because the mayor had already spoken that he will not prevent aerial spraying here," Cariaga said.

He said the mayor told the group about his stand on the aerial spraying when he met with members of the chamber and Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry team headed by former Ambassador Donald Dee here in Davao City re DCCCII disaffiliation with the national chamber last October.

He said the mayor volunteered the information without the chamber asking him about aerial spraying adding that was it was a good decision otherwise banana producers, because of huge expense, might shift to other crops or look for other areas.

Cariaga said it will be more expensive if farmers adopt other scheme like manual spraying where additional infrastructure have to be introduced.

Compared to rice and corn, the net yield of growing exportable bananas annually is at P200,000 per hectares. Crops like rice and corn could only give farmers a yearly income of P50,000 at swerte na ang farmer kung makaabot sila this much, he said.

"As of now there is no other farm produce that would yield that much except for banana," he said.

Citing a data from the Regional Tripartite Wage and Productivity Board (RTWPB) of which Cariaga is a member, he said that in a pie chart representing agri production, 65 percent is for banana and the remaining 35 percent is shared by other crops like coconut, rice, corn, etc.

Still with the RTWPB data ,he said second best to banana is coconut but the latter is way below malayo masyado ang gap between the two.

Meanwhile Cariaga said there is much improvement in the business climate this year.

Carriaga who is also the DCCCII president also bared that membership in 2005 with 318 has gone up to 380 showing an increase of 20 percent.

He attributed this to the good business climate because more businessmen join prestigious organization and when they join they have the capacity which is an indication that there is more money.

"And when they participate then okay ang economy," he said. (PIA XI) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»Davao YMCA sets induction
»Davao's Duterte limits operation of video-karaoke bars
»Sto. Tomas barangay officials receive financial aid
»Feature: Rising through hope and collective action
»2 Mindanao mayors shine in LGLA search for outstanding local executives
»1001st IB commanding general meets Muslim leaders
»Davao RDC endorses child-friendly policies
»Business sees bright prospects for 2007
»Commentary: The luster of Filipino unity behind Pacquiao's victory
»US "Books for the Barrios" program reaches Leyte
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines