Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Monday, 8 August 2022 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << August 2022 >> 
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2007/06/04

Palace urges appeal of SC ruling freeing Beltran, et al

Manila (4 June) -- Malacaņang is backing the move to appeal the Supreme Court decision that junked the government's rebellion case against Anakpawis Rep. Crispin Beltran and five other militant party-list lawmakers.

Press Secretary Ignacio Bunye said Sunday that Malacaņang respected and would fully abide by the Supreme Court ruling but supported the move of the Solicitor General to appeal it "because of its adverse effect on law enforcement."

"It is well within the rights of the Solicitor General as the statutory counsel of the national government to file this Motion for Reconsideration," Bunye said in a statement.

Justice Secretary Raul Gonzalez told reporters Sunday the decision to file a motion for reconsideration was reached Friday night during a security cluster meeting, and the consensus was approved by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. He said he then directed Solicitor General Agnes Devanadera to file the appeal.

"Personally, I don't think the Supreme Court will reverse itself. I'm not optimistic considering who wrote the decision," Gonzalez said.

Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonio Carpio, who penned the decision ordering the dropping of rebellion charges against Beltran and the "Batasan 5" -- party-list Representatives Satur Ocampo, Liza Maza, Joel Virador, Teodoro Casiņo and Rafael Mariano -- also wrote the decision late last year dismissing the bid for a people's initiative to amend the Constitution, which was described as a "grand deception."

In the government's motion for reconsideration, Devanadera argued that the Supreme Court decision had "far-reaching and adverse consequences on the criminal justice system."

She said the decision undermined the trial courts' and prosecutors' prerogative to determine probable cause against respondents.

"Nobody will be charged anymore, even if you find 1,000 graves in Leyte, there will be no case. Because then that will be the imagination of the DOJ," Gonzalez had said on Friday.

Meanwhile, despite the court's Friday ruling, 74-year-old Beltran still spent the weekend in detention at the Philippine Heart Center in Quezon City.

The Philippine National Police said Sunday it would release Beltran as soon as the lawyers of the detained solon showed them a release order from the courts. (PIA-MMIO) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»Ode to June as environment month
»Arroyo to see Pope Monday
»Palace urges appeal of SC ruling freeing Beltran, et al
»New Iloilo Airport to open June 13
»Animal health group declares RP to be FMD-free
»Zambo hosts CARAT '07
»PNP increases police visibility as schools open today
»PCA to open coco diesel station in Cebu by yearend
»DOH-7: Parents must teach their kids road safety
»Commentary: Hard-won economic resurgence must not be undermined by unproductive conflicts
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines