Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Friday, 1 July 2022 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << July 2022 >> 
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2007/07/19

DA targets reduction in rice production losses

by Prix D Banzon

Davao City (19 July) -- The government will make steps to bring down current loses incurred in the rice production from 15 percent to seven percent.

Department of Agriculture Secretary Arthur C. Yap stressed during the 5th National Grains Production Conference held in Davao City that 70 percent of the 15 percent losses ocurs during postproduction.

He said this happened during drying, storage and milling processes.

Yap said while they had addressed the concerns for production facilities, projects and programs for post harvest is also being done together with marketing.

Yap was in Davao City as keynote speaker during the conference held July 18 to 19 at the Royal Mandaya Hotel.

The conference spearheaded by the Philippine Rice Postproduction Consortium (PRPC). The PRPC is an alliance of primary research development and extension institutions that seek to provide solutions for the sustainable development of the grain postharvest industry of the country.

It was established in 1999 with BPRE, NFA, PhilRice, UPLB and IRRI as member agencies under EO 309 issued by President Arroyo.

Yap said the 15 percent losses is already equivalent to 800,000 metric tons of rice, which is good enough to support the import requirement of rice of 1.5 million metric tons.

He however said that with some gains in rice production the importation of rice has gone down.

National Food Authority Administrator Engr. Jessup P. Navarro said that their projection for rice importation gone down to 1.61 million metric tons compared to last year's 1.65 million metric tons.

Yap said the P2 billion post harvest production program would include among others acquisition of flatbed dryers that will be installed near production sites accessible to farmers.

Also given focus is the irrigation program where 55,000 hectares of irrigated rice farms are due for rehabilitation this year.

He said they will increase the figure in 2008 to 75,000 to 80,000 hectares. (PIA XI) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»Gov't accelerates hunger-mitigation strategy
»BIR issues new revenue regulations
»Waste segregation: Still a failure?
»DA can't discourage land conversion, Yap admits
»Successful PWDs to lead talk show at SM City Davao
»3.3-M mt tons of rice hull eyed as power source
»Davao horse show slated
»DA targets reduction in rice production losses
»Feature: PWD center rises from ruins
»Website for 40th AMM now activated - DFA
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines