Knock-Out Tigdas 2007 starts October 15
by EA Nunez/RB Manlangit
LEGAZPI CITY (15 October) -- The Department of Health-Center for Health Development (DOH-CHD) in Bicol is all set for the conduct of the month-long measles elimination campaign that will start simultaneously on Monday, October 15 nationwide.
Dr. Ferchito Avelino, DOH Bicol asst. regional director, said all the provincial health offices in the region has finished the conduct of their respective sales conferences in connection with the Knock-Out Tigdas 2007 project.
A pledge of support were given by the participants from the line government agencies, non-government organizations and private sector during the sales conference for the success of anti-measles campaign this year.
Avelino said that the Knock-Out Tigdas 2007 to be conducted nationwide from October 15, to November 15 will provide a door-to-door anti-measles vaccination to all children aged 9 months to 4 years old. "The campaign will also include giving Vitamin A supplement to children aged 6 months to 17 months."
It will be recalled that in 1998 the Philippine government adopted a ten-year plan Philippine Measles Elimination Campaign (PMEC) through Presidential Proclamation No. 4 which aims to interrupt the circulation of measles virus in all communities throughout the country by 2008.
Avelino said that measles can be fatal especially among children with its corresponding complications like high fever, pneumonia, etc.
Over in Camarines Norte, Dr. Arnulfo Salagoste, Provincial Health Officer, reported that so far there is no reported incidence of measles in the province since January this year but there were 17 cases recorded during the period 2003 to 2006. (PIA) [top]