Knock-Out Tigdas extended
By Mai Gevera
The month-long Knock Out Tigdas campaign of the Department of Health is extended until the last week of November due to the low participation rate of target beneficiaries.
From its target of hundred percent accomplishment, the Davao Region only reached 77% which is supposed to have ended last November 15.
Accomplishment report submitted by the different provincial health offices showed that all of the provinces accomplished way below the target number.
"The regional turn-out is far from the target of at least 95% which is required to prevent measles outbreaks and to ultimately eliminate measles from the country by 2008," said DOH regional director Paulyn Jean Rosell-Ubial.
The health department believed that this campaign is an effective strategy to eliminate measles especially with data that showed a significant decrease of measles cases from 1997 until the present due to the success of nationwide measles campaign separately done in the year 1998 and 2004.
"With the extension, we are now focusing on the areas that need to catch up with their accomplishments," she said. (PIA XI) [top]