Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Monday, 17 June 2019 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
 << June 2019 >> 
S M T W T F S
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30
Special News Editions:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Ilocano.Waray.Hiligaynon
Pangasinan.Other
PIA Specials:
NEW! Cabinet Officials
Jobs.Slides.Specials.Ads. Events.ASEAN.Multimedia
Visitors since 15 Feb 2011:
PIA News Archive:
English.Tagalog.Cebuano
Waray.Hiligaynon.Ilocano
Pangasinan.All
PIA Archive News Reader

PIA Press Release
2008/02/11

Sec. Yap inaugurates P33-M corn post-harvest facility in Zamboanga del Norte/H3>

By Franklin P. Gumapon

Dipolog City (11 February) -- A newly constructed corn post-harvest facility in Sergio Osmeņa town was formally inaugurated Friday with Secretary Arthur C. Yap of the Department of Agriculture (DA).

The P33-million Zamboanga del Norte Corn Post-harvest Processing and Trading Center, which is jointly financed by DA's National Agribusiness Corp. (NABCOR), Zamboanga del Norte provincial government, Sergio Osmeņa municipality and Rep. Cecilia Jalojos-Carreon's Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), is expected to raise production of the grain in the area by as much as 10 percent and farmers' income by 50 percent.

Yap said the facility aims to ensure a steady supply of corn even during wet season and produce premium quality corn grains at 14 percent moisture content. "The facility will also help decrease post-harvest losses from 15 percent to 5 percent of production and raise income for corn farmers by 50 percent," Yap stressed.

"The project has a return of investment rate of 12.5 percent for its investors," Yap added.

Yap also expected the NABCOR to pursue its project of establishing similar post-harvest centers in other corn-producing areas of the country as part of the government's efforts to ensure grains sufficiency for Filipinos.

Yap further said "the construction of this post-harvest facility is part of the infrastructure build-up ordered by President Arroyo in the face of the rebounding economy."

The President earlier this week said her government will carry on this massive infrastructure program this year to serve as a "springboard" for higher growth and a "firewall" against the looming economic slowdown in the United States.

NABCOR provided the bulk of the funding for the construction of the facility at P23 million, Zamboanga del Norte provincial government pitching in P2 million as its counterpart fund, another P3 million from Sergio Osmeņa town and P5 million from Rep. Cecilia Jalojos-Carreon. (PIA-ZN) [top]

|«  prev  next  »|
DAILY NEWS LIST:
»Cebu launches micro-financing for mothers of severely malnourished children
»NDA milk feeding program helps decrease malnutrition in Central Visayas
»Nobel Laureate: Create "credible and forward-looking" economic policies
»Koreans top arrivals in Central Visayas in 2007
»Abra mayor urges DA to build farm-to-market roads in his town
»DOH Zamboanga initiates 'Limpiesa' to rid dengue
»Cebuano News: PGMA gimandoan ang AFP nga magmugna og Investment Defense Force
»Cebuano News: DA nagduso ug development plan for fibers pagpa-uswag sa rural growth
»Cebuano News: Presidente miduyog sa mga pamilya sa OFW sa National Migrant's Sunday Mass
»Sec. Yap inaugurates P33-M corn post-harvest facility in Zamboanga del Norte
|«  prev  next  »|

Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines