Davao Norte to donate P500T to Frank-hit Panay, Romblon
Tagum City (9 July) -- Davao del Norte will be donating P100,000 each to the four typhoon Frank-stricken areas in Panay Island including Romblon, in response to calls of the League of the Provinces of the Philippines (LPP).
In an interview Monday afternoon, Provincial Governor Rodolfo P. del Rosario said the LPP had passed a resolution asking provincial governments to take a slice of their calamity fund for typhoon-hit families in Western Visayan of Ilo-ilo, Aklan, Capiz, Antique and Romblon.
The Provincial Governor's Office last week passed a request for the Sangguniang Panlalawigan to pass a resolution authorizing the Provincial Governor to shell out the financial assistance.
Hoping that SP deliberated the request in its session on Monday, del Rosario was optimistic that the provincial government could send the money within this week to the five provinces.
"We hope they can take action on it, within the week we would have the money for them," del Rosario said.
Addressing the Monday convocation, Provincial Administrator Rufo Peligro asked provincial employees to extend donation and share their extras in cash or in kind to typhoon victims especially those who haven't been reached earlier by relief operation workers.
"Tutal pinangga bitaw ta sa Guinoo diring dapita. Wala ta abti ug bagyo. (Anyway we have been blessed by God here. We are spared of the typhoon.), he said.
Peligro said he had been told by clergy associates working in the stricken areas that "there are still a number of families who have yet to access assistance and that they are badly needing water and food."
Peligro said he will be asking fellow provincial administrators in the Davao Region to do the same initiative so that more assistance would go to typhoon Frank victims.
Typhoon Frank claimed about 100 lives in Ilo-ilo alone and sent the 23,800 ton-MV Princess of the Star passenger ship of Sulpicio Lines sinking, off Sibuyan Island of Romblon as it sailed along the stormy Visayas seas on June 21, 2008.
Taking a 10-day official trip to the United States when howler Frank entered the country, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo beamed worldwide her appeal for assistance for typhoon victims.
The U.S. immediately sent USNS Stockham, two helicopters, a P-3 maritime surveillance aircraft, and a U.S. navy divers to assist in the rescue and recovery operations at the height of typhoon Frank.
Other countries were also pouring aid for the typhoon victims while overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) were sending their assistance through embassies tasked by the President to receive aid.
As she got back to the country, the President made it a priority to visit typhoon-hit areas to personally met families of victims and to distribute relief goods. (PIA/JMDA) [top]