Earth Hour 2010 outlines blueprint for public involvement
Iloilo City (15 March) -- Earth Hour 2010 organizers hope to reach more people to actively participate this year by encouraging different activities.
These include: (1) Show support online by logging on to www.earth hour.org and join the facebook fan page of the department of energy (DOE) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Earth-Hour-Iloilo.
(2) Help make the event on March 27, bring bigger and wider impact spreading the word using your personal networks: post these messages to Facebook, MySpace and Twitter:
- "On March 27, 2010 at 8:30PM I'll be in the dark. Join me by signing up for Facebook..."
- "Join me in sending a message to the world that the time for action on climate change is now. Sign up for Earth Hour ? Iloilo (DOE) Facebook Fan page..."
- "Today I took a simple step to help reduce the effects of climate change. Join me at Earth Hour ?Iloilo (DOE) Facebook Fan Page..."
(3) Tag your Earth Hour Twitter posts with #earthhour and help turn it into a trending topic in the days leading up to Earth Hour.
(4) Plan an office event, like a block party, candlelight dinner or parade or just some of the ways you can get your friends and neighbors together to celebrate Earth Hour.
(5) Voice your opinion through letters to the editors of your community/school publications.
(6) Switch off all non-essential lighting, especially on March 27, 8:30-9:30 in the evening. Encourage your local officials, PTAs and school officials to spearhead the same in their respective localities.
The organizers believe that this year's Earth Hour will generate more involvement from various sectors. Last year, nearly one billion people in more than 4,000 cities around the world turned off their lights to demonstrate their commitment and encourage the governments and citizens of the world to take action on the serious effects of climate change.
In Iloilo, the DOE and the pool of organizers coming from the public and private sectors said preparations are upbeat on the event, with committees for the Program, Documentation, Security, Exhibits, Countdown and Media Relations formed to undertake various tasks. (PIA6/ESS) [top]