Gov't prepared for typhoon ‘Paeng,’ says Bunye
JIANGXI (via PLDT/SMART) (28 October) -- The government is "on top of the situation" as another storm threatens to hit Metro Manila and nearby provinces early next week, barely a month after the devastation of typhoon "Milenyo," an official said.
Press Secretary Ignacio Bunye told reporters covering President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo's China visit here that local governments have been alerted to provide the "first line of disaster response."
"We are sure that the NDCC [National Disaster Coordinating Council] is on top of things," he said.
Bunye could not immediately ascertain if the President had been personally contacting disaster officials over the typhoon preparations.
"I'm sure with her managerial style, the President, if she has the time, she will call them," the spokesman said.
Typhoon “Paeng,” which packs powerful winds and rains, is moving toward the Bicol region and Samar. In its advisory, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration said the typhoon may hit land fall Sunday or Monday. (PIA) [top]