PIA Press Release
Monday, January 02, 2012
DOH says APIR a success in CARby Joseph B Zambrano
BAGUIO CITY, Jan. 2(PIA) -- “Aksyon: Paputok Injury Reduction (APIR)" toward a safe holiday celebration campaign is a success, the Department of Health (DOH) in the Cordillera reported.
Initial record shows from December 21, 2011 to January 2, 2012, listed were 36 cases injuries compared to 82 cases of the same period last year or a 56% drop on wounded individuals.
According to Dr. Myrna Cabotage, regional director of DOH-Center for Health Development, the public is slowly learning its lesson on the dangers of firecrackers.
She said the province of Abra has the highest number of injuries with 13, followed by Baguio City with 10, Kalinga, 4; Mt. Province, 3; Benguet 2, Apayao, 2 and Ifugao, 2.
The age of those affected is from six years old to 14 years old. There are more males with 32 and four females, Cabotaje explained.
The firecrackers that inflicted inhuries are piccolo, kwitis, pla-pla, luces, five star, fountain, whistle bomb, baby rocket and watusi, Cabotaje said.
We would like to thank the local government units for their support for the APIR campaign, our office will continue advocating “iwas paputok” and hope there will be zero injury in the years to come, Cabotaje added. (JDP/JBZ PIA CAR)