PIA Press Release
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Negros Oriental Gov seeks financial aid for repair of storm-damaged infraby Rachelle M. Nessia
DUMAGUETE CITY, Jan. 10 (PIA) -- Negros Oriental Gov. Roel Degamo is seeking financial assistance from the national government for the repair of local infrastructure that were destroyed by the flood brought by Typhoon Sendong last month.
The provincial government needs a total of P1.2 billion to repair storm-ravaged roads, bridges, spillways, flood control and river dikes, schools, irrigation, among others.
The governor has earlier submitted his request for financial aid in a report to the Office of Civil Defense (OCD).
According to Gov. Degamo, the provincial government’s calamity fund is not enough to cover the needed amount for the repair of said infrastructure facilities.
“I hope the national government will immediately respond to our request the soonest time possible,” he said.
Typhoon Sendong that hit the province on Dec. 17, 2011 caused Okoy, Banica and Tanjay rivers to overflow, triggering floods to sweep away houses and damage infrastructure facilities.
The deepening, dredging and rechanneling of Okoy, Banica and other rivers in the province are currently underway after the provincial government allotted P8 million to rent the needed heavy equipment for said activities.
Another P5 million was released for the construction of gabions as flood control dikes and the purchase of water pipes and service drop wires. (RMN/PIA Negros Oriental)