Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Thursday, 19 September 2019 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
Region NCR Submenu
Latest News
News Headlines
Foto Releases
One Luzon
120129-ncr-partners

Parañaque City Mayor Florencio Bernabe, Jr. (second from left) is awarded a water-themed painting by Artist Ivan Acuña; the MWSI Special Partnership Award; and a plaque of recognition from Maynilad officials (from left) President and CEO Victorico P. Vargas, Chairman Manuel V. Pangilinan, Chief Operations Officer Herbert M. Consunji and Chief Finance Officer Randolph T. Estrellado during the 5th Anniversary Celebrations of the Maynilad Water Services Inc. which was held recently at the SM Mall of Asia. The Special Partnership Award was given in recognition of the contribution of the Parañaque City Government and Mayor Jun Bernabe for the continued expansion of MWSI water services in the city. (Photo By: Jun Budlat)
National Capital Region

PIA Press Release
Thursday, January 05, 2012

Robredo says 2012 New Year’s Eve revelry 'generally safer' than in 2011

MANILA, Jan. 5 (PIA) -- Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse M. Robredo on Tuesday said the New Year revelry was "generally peaceful and safer" compared to previous years' celebrations, with lesser number of fire incidents and firecracker injuries.

“We’re still collating reports from the field. But initially, reports reaching my office indicate that the 2012 New Year’s eve celebration was more peaceful and safer than in previous years,” he said.

The DILG chief said the drop in reports of fire incidents, firecracker-related injuries, and victims of stray bullets indicate that the government’s “Iwas-Paputok” campaign and the drive against banned and dangerous firecracker products was a success.

“Our objective was ‘zero-casualties’ from firecracker-related injuries. Initial reports said there were more than 300 persons injured from firecrackers for the month of December. Although we have lesser casualties now compared to last year, we intend to reduce that number this year,” he said.

On reports that there were 18 people who were victims of stray bullets, Robredo directed PNP Chief Nicanor Bartolome to order his field investigators to gather the bullet slugs recovered from the victims and subject them to ballistics test to determine, if possible, on whose firearms they were fired from.

Last year, 30 persons were hit by stray bullets during the Holiday seasons. “The PNP Crime Lab has the Integrated Ballistics Identification System equipment which can compare the slugs to the ballistics records of licensed firearms the PNP Firearms and Explosives Division has on file,” he said.

“Also, we will subject to paraffin test some police officers who reportedly fired their guns during the New Year revelry. We will reveal their names once we have determined they have violated the ban against indiscriminate firing,” he added.

Based on initial reports, Robredo also disclosed there were only 12 fire incidents that were recorded in Metro Manila during the New Year revelry as fire officials in the region, who were on red alert status, conducted last-minute warnings to the public Saturday night.

BFP-NCR records indicate that there were 277 fire incidents in Metro Manila for the month of December in 2010 and this was reduced to 188 for the same month in 2011.

The BFP-NCR led by Chief Superintendent Santiago Laguna on Saturday night led a motorcade of BFP and other local fire volunteer firetrucks that roamed Metro Manila streets as part of its campaign against illegal firecrackers and other fire hazards.(RJB/JCP-PIA NCR)

 
Latest Stories
  • Tagalog news: Metro Manila mayors tutugunan ang hamon ng climate change (NCR)
  • “Gabi ng Parangal” culminates Microinsurance month (NCR)
  • DPWH chief bats for long term solutions vs flooding, disasters (NCR)
  • ‘Asenso P’que Job Fair 2012’ set on February 7 (NCR)
  • Marikina launches project for small entrepreneurs (NCR)
  • NAPOLCOM clarifies issue on non-release of 2011 police entrance, promotional exams (NCR)
  • Coast Guard to get P1.6 billion more for new equipment (NCR)
  • DENR, BFAR intensify drive vs. marine pollution (NCR)
  • DA says sugarcane 'outperforms' other crops in 2011 (NCR)
  • PNP extends condolences, financial assistance to families of bomb blast victims (NCR)
  • National Archives, kailangan ng bagong gusali (NCR)
  • DA, LBP extend initial P400M Loan to rice farmers (NCR)
  • Makati opens 'SMART' summer program on Feb. 13 (NCR)
  • Coast Guard to beef up sea, air assets (NCR)
  • Marikina to host third leg of Philippine Water Runs (NCR)

    Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
    For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
    Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
    PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines