Presidential Communications Operations Office



  PIA Bldg, Visayas Ave, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  Wednesday, 18 September 2019 News Before 1 Feb 2012. Click for Latest
Web PIA  
 
home
 
about
 
fotos
 
info
 
links
 
ncrr01carr02r03calmimr05r06r07r08r09r10r11r12r13
Region NCR Submenu
Latest News
News Headlines
Foto Releases
One Luzon
120129-ncr-partners

Parañaque City Mayor Florencio Bernabe, Jr. (second from left) is awarded a water-themed painting by Artist Ivan Acuña; the MWSI Special Partnership Award; and a plaque of recognition from Maynilad officials (from left) President and CEO Victorico P. Vargas, Chairman Manuel V. Pangilinan, Chief Operations Officer Herbert M. Consunji and Chief Finance Officer Randolph T. Estrellado during the 5th Anniversary Celebrations of the Maynilad Water Services Inc. which was held recently at the SM Mall of Asia. The Special Partnership Award was given in recognition of the contribution of the Parañaque City Government and Mayor Jun Bernabe for the continued expansion of MWSI water services in the city. (Photo By: Jun Budlat)
National Capital Region

PIA Press Release
Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Robredo orders probe of local exec’s culpability in Compostela landslide

by Jerome Carlo R. Paunan

MANILA, Jan. 18 (PIA) -- For their alleged failure to implement government-imposed measures to stop illegal mining activities in the now landslide struck gold-rich village in Pantukan town, Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse M. Robredo has ordered an investigation on the possible culpability and liability of concerned local government officials in Compostela Valley.

At least 25 persons were killed while more than 100 others remained missing when prohibited small mining pits and shanties collapsed in Panganason village in Pantukan town during a pre-dawn landslide in the mining site.

“I am going to the area today to conduct an investigation to determine the liability and culpability of the local officials in Compostela Valley, particularly the mayor of Pantukan town and the village chairman of Barangay Panganason,” Robredo said.

Robredo said the Panganason mining site had been declared by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) as a “geo-hazard” site as early as October last year.

In April 2010, at least 20 people died when parts of the mountain, a few kilometers away from the latest landslide site, collapsed burying houses above it.

“The Compostela Valley governor, the Pantukan town mayor and the barangay chairman of Panganason were all aware of the hazards in the area as declared by the DENR last October. Yes, they ordered a forced evacuation against the illegal miners in the high-risk mining site but they apparently were not able to stop them from coming back in the area,” Robredo explained.

In a text message to Robredo, Compostela Valley Gov. Arturo Uy blamed the barangay and purok officials of Barangay Panganason for allowing the return of the miners in the high-risk mine sites.

Uy also vowed to initiate an investigation into the incident.

“I still have to verify the information provided me by Gov.Uy. But I will still ask the concerned provincial, town and barangay Disaster Risk Reduction Management Councils led by the concerned local chief executives to explain in writing why they should not be held liable for dereliction of duty,” Robredo said.

The local police have mobilized search teams, including local miners, to conduct search and rescue of possible survivors in the gold-rich hinterland village which reportedly is hard to reach because of its unfriendly terrain. (DILG/RJB/JCP-PIA NCR)

 
Latest Stories
  • Tagalog news: Metro Manila mayors tutugunan ang hamon ng climate change (NCR)
  • “Gabi ng Parangal” culminates Microinsurance month (NCR)
  • DPWH chief bats for long term solutions vs flooding, disasters (NCR)
  • ‘Asenso P’que Job Fair 2012’ set on February 7 (NCR)
  • Marikina launches project for small entrepreneurs (NCR)
  • NAPOLCOM clarifies issue on non-release of 2011 police entrance, promotional exams (NCR)
  • Coast Guard to get P1.6 billion more for new equipment (NCR)
  • DENR, BFAR intensify drive vs. marine pollution (NCR)
  • DA says sugarcane 'outperforms' other crops in 2011 (NCR)
  • PNP extends condolences, financial assistance to families of bomb blast victims (NCR)
  • National Archives, kailangan ng bagong gusali (NCR)
  • DA, LBP extend initial P400M Loan to rice farmers (NCR)
  • Makati opens 'SMART' summer program on Feb. 13 (NCR)
  • Coast Guard to beef up sea, air assets (NCR)
  • Marikina to host third leg of Philippine Water Runs (NCR)

    Philippine Official Gazette | Office of the President | Presidential Communications Operations Office
    For comments and feedback, please email PIA Newsdesk
    Copyright © 2005 Philippine Information Agency
    PIA Building, Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines