PIA Press Release
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
WESTMINCOM chief lauds peace efforts of local officialsCOTABATO CITY, Maguindanao, Jan. 18 (PIA) -- Armed Forces of the Philippine’s Western Mindanao Command (WestMinCom) commander Lt. Gen. Raymundo Ferrer lauds the unified efforts of authorities and local officials to sustain peace and development campaign leading to the more prevailing stable atmosphere in Mindanao.
Ferrer noted the improved peace and order situation here during a preliminary consultation meeting of military and police officials called last week by Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao-Officer-in-Charge (ARMM-OIC) Gov. Mujiv Hataman in preparation for the Regional Peace and Order Council meeting this month aimed at solidifying peace and security actions in the autonomous region.
Ferrer, who is set to retire from military service by Jan. 23 this year, said he is pleased to note the improvement in terms of peace and order situation as well as development progress in Mindanao as he assured to continue to support the ongoing peace talks.
“I am happy with the developments in Mindanao,” Ferrer said adding that these are tying up the reform agenda and timeline of President Benigno Aquino, III and ARMM with various sectors to achieve tangible results.
He hopes a peace agreement could be reached and signed between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) so that human and economic development will be fast tracked.
Ferrer said, even if he would no longer be with the government, he will still be supporting the peace and security agenda in pursuit of long-term peace and development in Mindanao through other means.
The official said, he is thinking of accepting invitations of some non-government organizations working for peace in Southern Philippines. (pbchangco/PIA Cotabato City)