PIA Press Release
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Army recorded very minimal violent activities for the last quarter of 2011by David M. Suyao
AGUSAN DEL SUR, Jan. 18 (PIA) -- The Philippine Army’s 26th Infantry Battalion has identified five confronted threats in their area of operation but as of the end of the year 2011, only four violent incidents were reported.
According to report by 26th IB commander Col. Nhel Richard Patricio, his troops led by 1Lt. Banot encountered members of Guerilla Front 21 of the Northeastern Mindanao Regional Command of the Communist Party of the Philippines/ New People’s Army/ National Democratic Front (CNN) in Sitio Goshen, New Tubigon, Sibagat and another encounter in Barangay Dimasalang, San Luis, Agusan del Sur the early and middle part of October, 2011. No other encounter was experienced after the two encounters until the end of December last year.
“However, because of failure to pay the revolutionary taxes demanded by the [communist insurgents], we have recorded two arson cases in Barangays Sta. Maria and Libertad, all in the municipality of Prosperidad, Agusan del Sur,” Patricio said.
Per assessment of the army’s 26th IB, their area of operation remained peaceful compared to other parts of Caraga Region. The non-violent activities mostly focus on information and public operation works while the group operation in Sibagat and the City of Bayugan is attempting to recover their mass base after the conduct of peace and development efforts in the area.
“On our part, our security operations in our area of operation are sustained. Our internal peace and security operations conducted as early as June last year has affected much on the [communist insurgents] efforts. We are therefore enjoining our peace-loving people in the barangays to cooperate with us by telling us the presence and activities by the [communist insurgents] in their areas so that we can counter them peacefully if possible,” Col. Patricio said. (PIA-Agusan del Sur)